Current-Users archive

re: amdgpu laptops with 10 & current?

nia writes:
> The ThinkPad A485 looks pretty interesting for use with NetBSD.
[ ... ]
> - AMD Radeon Vega 6, 8 or 10
>
> Usually I prefer the smaller X series, but they've made them
> non-upgradable and harder to repair...
>
> ethernet is re0, this is different from the intel models that are
[ ... ]

i have an a495s that doesn't work so great, but i also have an a475
that does work pretty well.  the onboard re(4) works fine for an re(4)
on both (i have the dongle that rjs hinted at for the 495s.)

my a475 has a12-9800B cpu (4c 2.7ghz, 3.6ghz turbo), and i think it
calls the GPU an "R7", it is an amdgpu and it works fine.

the a475 almost suspend/resumes properly.  USB3 is broken afterwards.

i'm pretty happy with the a475, though it could be faster.

the a495s amdgpu doesn't work for me, though the default fb is good
enough for basic X usage (firefox without video works.)  i haven't
played as much with this because my system has a bad battery and
won't stay powered on unplugged.

what this means is .. an a485 may be some what broken, but perhaps
not as broken as the a495s is? :)

.mrg.