Re: OpenSSH/scp ->> F-Secure SSH server Problems

On Mon, 12 Mar 2001, Thor Simon wrote:

> > The ssh implementation and the sftp implementation are quite
> > independent. They have a common origin and uses a common language and
>
> Yeah, that's my point.  I think it's entirely reasonable to *not*
> implement sftp in an ssh implementation, given its large size and
> general crustiness.

I don't think that you have demonstrated that sftp is either large or
'crusty'. Could you give examples of the latter?

> [...snip...]
> > Furthermore, the server part (i.e. the subsystem) is not big, I expect
> > the one I started to write to be a self contained program of at most
> > 5000-10000 lines of C code. Say about twice as large as GNU ls.
>
> That's pretty darned big; the entire SSHv1 server implementation we
> shipped to Redback, for example, was just about 5000 lines, and we had
> a working minimal server at an earlier point in our development that
> was perhaps 2/3 that big.  The entire world is NOT a Unix machine with
> a multi-gigabyte hard drive.

The sftp-server that we ship with OpenSSH is 1028 lines, not counting
the infrastructure shared with the rest of the implementation. BTW I
don't think that SSH1 is a valid benchmark for comparison.

-d