Re: subsystem invocation (non-serious message)

Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld%east.sun.com@localhost> wrote:
> Simon Tatham's alternative would be perfect, except for one fatal
> problem -- csh and csh-derived shells (stupidly) close descriptors
> other than 0, 1, and 2.  Traditional sh-derived shells (including ksh,
> bash, zsh, and others) do not have this bug.
>
> This is clearly a local issue, easily fixed by removing the offending
> shell.

I did propose a modified method using named pipes which would even
work with csh.

This was clearly a bug; it sounds as if you'd prefer a method that
actively discouraged csh :-)

Cheers,
Simon
--
Simon Tatham         "I'm cross. I'm going to have a tantrum.
<anakin%pobox.com@localhost>    <pause> How do I start?"            - my uncle