Re: Whither USERAUTH_BANNER?

Simon Tatham <anakin%pobox.com@localhost> writes:

> (I suppose I could send a USERAUTH_REQUEST type `none' attempting to
> authenticate as a spurious user, just in order to receive the
> banner;

USERAUTH_REQUEST "none" is used as kind of ping for other purposes,
like getting the list of suggested userauth methods.

> but then I'd have to switch usernames in the middle of the
> authentication, and the server is allowed to disconnect if I do
> that.)

Hmm, why do you think the server will disconnect?

> Also, while I'm here ... is there a policy on line-ending
> conventions within the banner message? Should I be translating \n
> into my local line end, or should the server be translating its
> local line end into \r\n, or what?

I don't think there's any policy. If there were, the policy should
probably say that lines are terminated with \r\n (not that I
particularly like that outdated convention, but that is what is used
in the only other place in the protocol that talks about lines, and
consistency is important). I think that treating \n as end of line and
ignoring all \r-characters should work.