Re: Some SRP issues

Tom Wu <tom%arcot.com@localhost> writes:

> > But if the user's secret value x is constructed as
> >
> >   x = HASH(s | H(n | p))

> I assume you're referring to a situation where a user is attempting to
> *set* his password remotely for the very first time on a server, since
> that is the only time one would ever send "v" over the network.

*blush* You're right, of course. It's half a year since I really
worked with SRP, and appearantly I'm forgetting important things about
it... No, I was not thinking about setting the password, only the key
exchange.

So what is a correct analysis of the case where the attacker tells the
client to use a group of the attackers choice, and the attacker can
compute logarithms?

The values that the attacker gets are

  e = g^a, from which a discrete log computation yields the users
           secret dh value a.

  f = v + g^b, which doesn't yield anything obvious.

So it seems fine. Is there anywhere I can read more about this
scenario?