Re: SRP in OpenSSH draft protocol spec

At 16:03 02/04/01, Tom Wu wrote:
>RJ Atkinson wrote:
>>         Does anyone know of any patents pending or patents
>> granted that cover SRP ?  My possibly incorrect understanding
>> is that SRP is patented or patent-pending.
>
>RFC2945-style SRP authentication, which is what OpenSSH is using, is
>royalty-free for commercial and non-commercial use worldwide.  See
>
>  http://www.ietf.org/ietf/IPR/WU-SRP
>
>for more information.
>
>Tom

        IMHO, it would be more clear, hence more helpful,
if there were a published RFC along the lines of the content
at the URL above.  Several such examples exist in the current
RFC archives.  In particular, it would be good if the patent
holder of record formally granted a royalty-free licence
in such an RFC.  Tom's email is absolutely helpful, but is
not likely to be sufficient for any commercial firm's patent
counsel.

        Note that I'm speaking as an individual IETF person,
not for my employer.

Thanks,

Ran
rja%inet.org@localhost