Re: global and channel requests -- more information on failure, more flexibility on success

>A datapoint: lshd checks that the port is larger than 1024. I don't know
>what other servers do. The reason lshd does that is that it usually
>runs as root at the time it binds the port.

Well that brings up the issue of privileged ports.  There are really
a few cases the client might ask for:
	"give me any (unprivileged) port"
	"give me an explicit port numbered P"
	"give me a privileged port"

We have 2 of those covered,
	0 -> any unprivileged port
	P -> P

But nothing in the requests I've seen allows "any privileged port",
or am I behind the times?  The obvious (work around) implementation
is to scan all the privileged ports with requests -- really yucky,
and we don't really know the rules for "privileged ports" on a remote
system.

--
ksb