Re: A future for the SSH File Transfer Protocol?

Why should a client ever have to understand a system dependent alias
such as ~fred?

The only entity that should need to know how to map ~fred to what it
points to is the sender of the file.

> I might be the only one, however; nobody has shown much interest in
> answering my clarifying questions or in the extension I proposed (to
> allow user details to be looked up, so a client could understand
> `~fred' and also so that the uid->username mapping in the
> recommended form of the long listing could be done in other contexts
> as well).
>
> Cheers,
> Simon
> --
> Simon Tatham         "What a caterpillar calls the end of the
> <anakin%pobox.com@localhost>    world, a human calls a butterfly."

 Jeffrey Altman * Sr.Software Designer      C-Kermit 8.0 Beta available
 The Kermit Project @ Columbia University   includes Secure Telnet and FTP
 http://www.kermit-project.org/             using Kerberos, SRP, and
 kermit-support%kermit-project.org@localhost          OpenSSL.  SSH soon to follow.