Re: A future for the SSH File Transfer Protocol?

David Butts  <dbutts%maddog.storability.com@localhost> wrote:
> The one advantage I know of that SCP has over SFTP is the ability
> to restrict the source/target of a transfer with -f/-t.  That is,
> IMHO, invaluable for any kind of batch copy process.  Without it,
> it becomes much more difficult to prevent someone who has stolen
> a private key from overwriting an authorized_keys file. If there
> is an equivalent means of restricting SFTP, then I'll certainly
> use it, but without it, I can't give up SCP.

This sounds like an excellent idea and I can easily think of four or
five uses for such a feature myself, but surely it's nothing to do
with the _protocol_? From the protocol point of view, you can
attempt to do exactly the same set of things, and you either get
told Access Denied or Yeah, All Right.
--
Simon Tatham         "I'm going to pull his head off. Ear by ear."
<anakin%pobox.com@localhost>                          - a games teacher