Re: Comment on drafts in last call

On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 05:49:10PM +0200, jml%ssh.com@localhost elucidated:

> Regarding the Secure Shell I-D's presently in WG Last Call:
>
> The name "SSH" is, and always has been, a major identifier of SSH
> Communications Security Corp. To protect the identifier in commercial
> settings, we have obtained trademark registration for the name in the
> United States, Europe, and Japan.
>
> The Secure Shell protocol has often been referred to with the name
> "SSH". This has not always been a source of confusion, as until some
> time ago we were the only major source of products associated with the
> Secure Shell protocol.  Another reason adding to the confusion is that
> the user base of Secure Shell products has only recently grown well
> outside the group of early adopters who know the technology and the
> field.

I have a question.  Once the term "ssh" has been used a port name
identifier in our /etc/services for years and years, and that tag has
been in the public domain for such a long time that a trademark wouldn't
necessarily be enforceable?

Dale Harris  <rodmur%maybe.org@localhost>   GPG key: 372FBD57    http://www.maybe.org/