Re: Do we have standards available for scp ??

>> >But SCP == RCP (the protocols), so either _both_ are secure
>> >or _none_.
>>
>> well...yes and no.  they are almost the same, but there are also
>> places where they differ radically, depending on your point of view.
>> for example, in the source() routine of my netbsd-current rcp:
>
>well, that's not really a protocol issue.

not an ssh protocol issue, certainly, but how scp or rcp talks to the
other end is.  using fsecure's scp to copy a five gigabyte file from
an x86 machine to an alpha won't work very well.  that's an *scp*
protocol failure, and that implies me that there ought to be some
simple guidelines.

>> >Well, documenting SCP means documenting RCP.
>>
>> otoh, an existing document covering rcp would make the scp document a
>> lot easier.
>
>sure.
>
>I just wonder why nobody seems to care about core protocol issues,
>but everybody cares about scp.

because a lot of people like it?

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|