Re: public key (was Re: consensus probe.)

>  - Split the ambiguous x.509 text into a new document.  (this seems
>    non-controversial at the moment)

We had at least one suggest that we include

   Signatures are encoded as follows:

     string   signature format identifier (same as public key/cert format)
     byte[n]  signature blob in format specific encoding

following the similar text about public keys.

This seems a good idea to me (though I think
I would omit the "(same as public key/cert format)"
as at least one proposal for x.509 doesn't
follow this rule.  Perhaps "(as specified by
public key/cert format)" would be more
appropriate?

- Joseph