Re: Core draft last call update.

On Thursday, March 14, 2002, at 12:20 , Wei Dai wrote:

On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 09:54:23PM -0500, Bill Sommerfeld wrote:
I made a ruling as working group chair that, because (a) the problem
could be fixed by a separate document introducing new ciphers, and (b)
there clearly did not exist consensus on the a fix, that we should not
hold up advancement of the rest of SSH while we attempted to solve the
problem.

You've missed the train.  The core specs are now out of our hands.

I don't agree with the proposed resolution to the issue I raised. Should
I contact the Area Director now or wait for the general Last-Call?

Wei,

	If your goal is really to improve the deployed security
of the Internet, then you ought to just create the standalone
I-D and let the core drafts go without trying to de-rail
the train.

	Bottom line is some crypto is a higher work function for
an adversary than no crypto (telnet and plain-text).  Crypto
can always be improved.  Trying to optimise IPsec (repeatedly;
along many dimensions) is one of several reasons it was so badly
delayed.

	Also, for my part, I don't (yet) have a comfort level with
your proposal.

IMHO,

Ran
rja%extremenetworks.com@localhost