Re: SFTP File open modes

On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 11:35:17AM -0500, Richard Whalen wrote:

> A wire format for textual data was defined as far back as RFC 959 (FTP) (and
> probably further).  Yes, text has been expanded these days to allow a wider
> character set, and some considerations for this should be made.  But the
> bulk of the textual data sent these days is done with a character set that
> uses an 8 bit unit.
>
> My employer's customers expect SFTP to provide functionality similar to what
> is provided by FTP, with the added security of encryption and improved
> authentication methods. The protocol that is currently defined is not
> capable of providing that functionality.

Rather than turn SFTP into a version of FTP,  I'd suggest that a way be
documented to run FTP over SSH.

i.e. a SSH session connection would serve as the FTP control connection
(port 21?),  and additional SSH connections would be opened for each
FTP file transfer connection (port 20?).

This would then just seem to just involve a few hacks to an FTP client
and server in order to run them over SSH.

DF