Re: SFTP File open modes

> On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 05:21:34PM +0000, Derek Fawcus wrote:
> > Rather than turn SFTP into a version of FTP,  I'd suggest that a way be
> > documented to run FTP over SSH.
> > i.e. a SSH session connection would serve as the FTP control connection
> > (port 21?),  and additional SSH connections would be opened for each
> > FTP file transfer connection (port 20?).
> Or even easier - just use the SSH tcp port forwarding facility.  Plumb the
> client and server into this and you have it all with minimal changes.

My understanding is that SSH port forwarding works only with the
control connection with the FTP protocol as it stands. Both existing
server code (wu-ftpd) and the FTP protocol are a rat's nest of
historical legacies which we would be better off not inflicting
on the next generation of software. (Speaking as a very minor
beta tester of wu-ftpd.)

If people want a text-mode file transfer, they'd be better off fitting
it into the archtecture of ssh/sftp and paying attention to i18n issues.

--
    Albert Lunde          Albert-Lunde%northwestern.edu@localhost (new address)
                          Albert-Lunde%nwu.edu@localhost (old address)