RE: Additional thoughts on text transfers

The mechanisms provided by draft-ietf-secsh-filexfer-02.txt fall short of
what is needed to provide a text transfer mechanism.

The file attributes mechanism has plenty of flexibilty to present
information about the type of information in the file, and whether or not
any translations can be provided.  Right now it says nothing about the type
and that no translations are available.

The OPEN/READ/WRITE mechanism is where the problem lies.  It specifies
particular bytes from the file, and on some systems those bytes may contain
a mixture of actual data and system specific details.  When those system
specific details are transfered to a dissimilar system they become at best
useless. In the worst case they make the entire file useless, as programs on
the second system do not know to ignore the system specific details and
declare the file to be corrupt.

Richard Whalen
Process Software