RE: Additional thoughts on text transfers

Process Software recently shipped SSH2 & SCP2 with MultiNet 4.4, based on
the F-Secure 2.4.0 build 15 code.
We are currently working on integrating the F-Secure 3.1.0 code with TCPware
(the version number will probably be 5.6), which is expected to ship this
summer (Northern Hemisphere).

We found the extended attribute mechanism in SFTP to be very flexible for
maintaining the VMS file attributes when transferring files between VMS
systems.

We determined before we went to Beta test that a binary only transfer
mechanism would not meet our customer needs for transferring text files.  We
can determine which files may be translatable, and have provided a
translation mechanism.  These mechanisms work well when the file is accessed
sequentially, but are ad-hoc (environment variables).

I have not started prototyping any protocols due to time constraints.
Exchanging ideas via email on how to deal with the text transfer problem has
been useful to help figure out what might have to be added to the protocol.

I don't know whether or not I will be able to travel to IETF, I do have time
to work on this via email.

Richard Whalen
Process Software