RE: solving the SFTP text mode issue

> What if we provide an SFTP command that the client could
> execute to learn the line separator on the server machine?

I know that this doesn't take care of record-based text file formats, but it
does take care of Unix, Windows, and Mac, which is much better than nothing,
and is probably what most people want, anyway.

As for record-based text file formats... The basic assumption of SFTP is
that a file is a single binary block of data that may be manipulated however
one wants. I simply don't see how this can be reconciled with record-based
text files. SFTP simply wasn't designed with that in mind, and I for one
wouldn't like to see the protocol retrofitted with alien concepts.

I think that the extension that I suggested would be easy to define, easy to
understand, easy to implement, and would satisfy the majority of users. In
contrast, a universal solution that would also support record-based file
formats would be much more complex and would force this complexity down the
throats of the majority of people who have no need for it.