RE: solving the SFTP text mode issue

> Text file conversion is best handled by the routines that
> access the file on the system that the file is stored on.

That is true, but I see no nice way to implement this in SFTP, because it
clashes with SFTP's assumption that all files are binary. It is incompatible
with SFTP's random-access concept.

A perfect solution to the text-file issue probably requires a mechanism
completely independent of SFTP's read/write operations. But an independent
mechanism for text files seems like an overkill for implementations that
will only interact with mainstream platforms anyway.

I would prefer to have standardized a simple solution that solves the
problem for the mainstream platforms, and let the exotic people implement
their own complicated extensions that I don't need to support.

Unless someone can come up with a really straightforward solution that
covers exotic formats as well. Perhaps this can be done, but it will have to
be done by an ingenious someone who is well-acquainted with those formats.