RE: solving the SFTP text mode issue

At 03:52 PM 5/10/2002, denis bider wrote:
> > How does this solution resonate with you all VMS people?
>
> variable-length records with a fixed-length binary record-size
> field at the beginning of each record
>
> So, this solution would seem to apply to the 2nd format (the
> first format is obviously handled today), but I'm not sure of
> the 3rd format.

What could be the problem? Random access?

If so, then perhaps Wei's suggestion is best - simply open the file in "text
mode", translate the lines to be LF-terminated if necessary, and enforce
sequential access. Perhaps provide another mode for appending to the file,
and that's it.

How does that sound in the VMS context?

As said, you VMS people must contribute actively, otherwise we'll just
implement something that works on Windows, et voila.

and as I already said, we have to study it to make sure it's a good
solution.  We'll provide an answer when we have one, rather than just
jumping off without thinking it through.

------
| Dan O'Reilly                  |                                       |
| Principal Engineer            |  "Why should I care about posterity?  |
| Process Software              |   What's posterity ever done for me?" |
| http://www.process.com        |                    -- Groucho Marx    |