Re: Timers and Timeouts in the SSH Transport Protocol

Dan Davidson <dan.davidson%commatch.com@localhost> writes:

> Based on your experience, what do you think the default
> timeout should be.

I don't think you need a specialized timeout for just the version
string exchange. I think it is reasonable to apply a timeout to the
entire initial handshake. E.g. set a timer at 5-15 minutes when you
accept a connection, cancel the timer when userauthentication is
completed, and disconnect if the timer fires.

> Moreover, I do agree with your remark about the
> retransmission and TCP/IP. However, please notice that in
> numerous telecommunications protocol messages are retransmitted
> although a reliable transport level is used.
> Example: H.323/H.225.

I've heard that is true also of the IETF SIP protocol, with a
motivation like "messages might have been forwarded over an
un-reliable mechanism like udp somewhere along the path.". Sounds real
ugly.