RE: ctime vs. Create Time

The compiler I use didn't like ctime, so I ended up changing the field name
to be creation_time.
I like the idea of having creation time available (as a true creation time),
as it allows a method of determining whether a file with a particular name
and a change in modification time means that a file was modified, or whether
it is an entirely new file with the same name as a previous file.

Some systems may not be able to report some times - VMS does not generally
record read-only access to a file, so there is no difference between atime
and mtime.

If your question is about "needing" a "ctime" in the linux concept of
"ctime", then I agree that there is no need for both "ctime" and "mtime".

Richard Whalen
Process Software