Re: ctime vs. Create Time

At 07:50 AM 10/7/2002, Joseph Galbraith wrote:
> I would much prefer that both creation and modification times be
preserved.
> If we're talking about copying a file intact between systems, inevitably,
> there will be somebody who will have that requirement.  If the field is
> common (or at least reasonably so), I always vote to preserve it if at all
> possible.
>
> For example, in VMS there are even more time fields kept for a file,
although
> I don't expect this standard to address those (unless you're feeling
> particularly amicable today <grin>).

Well, I might be :-)

I don't remember what they are though; my VMS experience is
about 10 years ago, so it is growing dimmer and dimmer.
I was trying to remember if VMS did create time and thought
that it did.  What other time fields does VMS keep?

If memory serves (I'm not near a VMS system at this point), there is a
backup date and a "shelving" date (when the file was copied to other media,
not as a backup).  I don't know that either would be of any specific value
to keep, however, as those are pretty much specific within the context of
an individual system, and I would think they would tend to lose meaning
when copied to another system.

Do you think the draft should address them?  Do you think
they are useful, even if not generally implementable?

- Joseph

------
| Dan O'Reilly                  |  "There are 10 types of people in this |
| Principal Engineer            |   world: those who understand binary   |
| Process Software              |   and those who don't."                |
| http://www.process.com        |                                        |