RE: sftp changes...

The server returns the lower of its version and the version sent in the
SSH_FXP_INIT packet.
The client uses the lower of its version and the version received in the
SSH_FXP_VERSION packet.

So, a change to the server code would be needed to return the highest
version that it can operate at, rather than the version that the client has
requested it to operate at.