Re: scp/sftp using IPv6 address, any ambiguity?

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Yong Ni wrote:

> For scp and sftp (used in the command line mode), we provide the src/dst
> path in the form of
>     [[user@]host[#port]:]file_or_dir
>
> In case of IPv6 address, the host itself could contain multiple ":".
>  How do we solve the ambiguity here?  The problem is worsen when the
> filename containing ":" is allowed in some file system.  For example:
>         guest@FFF1::FFFF2:FFF3:FFF4
> Can you tell which part is what?  I was under the impression people uses
> "[]"  to group ipv6 address.  However, is there a document somewhere
> about this?

What you are describing is a user interface issue for a particular
implementation of the protocol.  The protocol is written in such a way that
it is obvious when "data" is a file, a file separator and a host address.

I believe you should take this issue up with the group that designed the
user interface for the program you are using.

--
Darren J Moffat