Re: ssh channel window size: before or after compression?

Hi,

Since the channels layer can't possibly know if/what kind of compression
the transport layer's using, my opinion would be that the only possible
way to interpret it is that window sizes refer to uncompressed data.
Also, all packets are compressed, whereas window sizes refer only to
channel data.

On Fri, 2003-02-14 at 00:04, denis bider wrote:

> So, my question to the folks here gathered is: who is right? Should

...so my view on this would be that you are.

> Further, assuming window size applies BEFORE compression, why don't
> servers other than ours bounce the Offending Application as it
> vehemently attempts to send more than it is supposed to?

One possibility is that you're using a portable OpenSSH v3.1(?) or so on
Linux with the privsep stuff, where compression isn't supported, thereby
obviating the problem.  Check whether compression's actually negotiated
for your test connection...

--
Jon Bright
Lead Programmer, Silicon Circus Ltd.