Re: sftp rename not good.

At 04:22 PM 5/13/2003, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
* Dan O'Reilly <dano%process.com@localhost> [030513 15:18] wrote:
> At 03:57 PM 5/13/2003, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> >
> >I think there should be some way of invoking an actual rename(2)
> >on the server.
>
> That would be best, IMHO.  That way, you can implement server-specific
> behavior.  For example, those of us on VMS have versioned file systems,
> so the behavior of a rename on VMS could be drastically different than
> that on a UNIX system.

Now that scares me. :)  My intention was to gather support for UNIX
semantics for this, not "whatever rename(2) does on the server".

Well, the point is, not everything is UNIX (and Lord knows, that whole
subject has come up before!).  If you allow it to be server-based, then
the whole issue of "how do I do a rename" is obviated from the client's
perspective.  Makes things cleaner all around, I think.

------
| Dan O'Reilly                  |  "There are 10 types of people in this |
| Principal Engineer            |   world: those who understand binary   |
| Process Software              |   and those who don't."                |
| http://www.process.com        |                                        |