Re: Why SFTP performance sucks, and how to fix it

On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 05:20:22AM +1200, Peter Gutmann wrote:
> (Before people start reaching for cream pies: The point I'm trying to make
>  there isn't to bash other people's software (my experimental code is
>  definitely far worse than anything else out there), but to say that the
>  current flow-control model is inherently difficult to get good performance
>  out of, a claim that would seem to be strongly supported by the performance
>  of various existing implementations).

But for SFTP it's due to the fact that the early implementations
used to send only one request at a time.  E.g., when sending multiple
'read' requests, I see not much different in performance between
scp and sftp (For a window size that's only 4 times the packet size).

-m