Re: Comment on draft-ietf-secsh-gsskeyex-06

On Sun, 6 Jul 2003, Simon Josefsson wrote:

> The document says:
>
>    The client SHOULD NOT send more then one gssapi mechanism OID unless
>    there are no non-GSSAPI authentication methods between the GSSAPI
>    mechanisms in the order of preference, otherwise, authentication
>    methods may be executed out of order.
>
> Besides having four (!) negations, I think some hints on how different
> GSSAPI mechanisms should be handled instead would be useful.  E.g.:
>
>    The client SHOULD send more than one mechanism OIDs only when all
>    of the mechanisms are of the same priority, compared to non-GSSAPI
>    authentication methods.  Otherwise, authentication methods may be
>    executed out of order.  Thus, the client could first send a
>    SSH_MSG_USERAUTH_REQUEST for one GSSAPI mechanism, then try public
>    key authentication, and then try another GSSAPI mechanism.

I think we can do something along these lines, but not specifically the
text you propose.  The problem is that SHOULD and SHOULD NOT are not
exactly inverses.

We say "you SHOULD NOT do X unless Y".  This makes a recommendation if Y
is false, but none if Y is true.

You say "you SHOULD do X if Y".  This makes a recommendation if Y is true,
but none if Y is false.

> FWIW, another implementation of the GSSAPI user authentication part of
> the specification is available.  Patches (experimental!) for LSH using
> GSSLib, Heimdal or MIT Kerberos 5, are available from
> <http://josefsson.org/gss/gss-lsh.html>.

Wonderful; thank you.

-- Jeff