RE: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-secsh-scp-sftp-ssh-uri-00.txt

I'm not sure, but I believe it is acceptable for the absolute path
section to contain C: or d:.

Scp://c:/file.txt

Do you see an issue with this?

>  - In the parameters section, there is repeated text saying `This
>    parameter MUST NOT add a mechanism to a configured list of
>    default configured acceptable encryption types'. I can't
>    immediately parse that. Does that mean that if an SSH client
>    doesn't by default enable (say) "des-cbc", it must not enable it
>    solely on the say-so of the URL?
[Joe] Yes

>    Does it in fact mean that the
>    client should restrict its existing set of ciphers (or whatever)
>    to the intersection of its preconfigured/default set and the set
>    provided in the URL? If not, what does it mean?

[Joe] Yes

>  - I'm particularly concerned about the "fingerprint" parameter. I
>    appreciate that the document already mentions that it makes a
>    difference whether the URL's fingerprint was obtained through a
>    trustworthy mechanism, but it strikes me that this might be fun
>    to implement in the average software setup in which the web
>    browser and the SSH client are separate, because if the client is
>    just handed a URL it won't in general know how it was obtained.
>
>    Perhaps a solution is for the web browser to allow separate
>    configuration of SSH client commands for securely and insecurely
>    obtained SSH URLs, and then those could be configured to be
>    respectively `putty --trust-fingerprint-parameter <URL>' and just
>    plain `putty <URL>'.

[Joe] This would be good, although I'm not sure you could achieve this
configuration in current web browsers and mail clients.   I was thinkin
that this could also involve user participation in the verification as
well.  Perhaps a prompt indicating "the host key from the server matches
(or does not match) the fingerprint in the URL; do you want to proceed?"

> Less fundamental nits:
>
>  - There may be more than one cipher/integrity/key-xchg parameter in
>    a given URL, but if there is, what preference order does that
>    imply? Or none?

[Joe] they should be listed in order of preference.

>  - Come to think of it, why must there not be more than one
>    fingerprint parameter? A host might perfectly well have ssh-dss
>    and ssh-rsa host keys, and want to supply the fingerprints of
>    both because it can't predict which key exchange mechanisms the
>    client supports.

[Joe] Good point.