Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-secsh-scp-sftp-ssh-uri-00.txt

Joseph Salowey <jsalowey%cisco.com@localhost> wrote:
> So how about
> scp://hostname/c:/bin/thingy

The difficulty with that is that you really want the SCP client to
send the pathname 'c:/bin/thingy', without a leading slash. But when
you say `scp://hostname/usr/bin/foo', you want the SCP client to
send `/usr/bin/foo', _with_ the leading slash. So this design
requires the _client_ to do something clever about conditionally
stripping the leading slash. Surely?

(Unless you're mandating that the _server_ in the 'c:/' case must be
capable of throwing away a leading slash? But that seems like a
requirement on server behaviour as well as URI format, which is
fairly serious remit creep...)

--
Simon Tatham         "I'm going to pull his head off. Ear by ear."
<anakin%pobox.com@localhost>                          - a games teacher