Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-secsh-scp-sftp-ssh-uri-00.txt

For most (all?) ssh clients, that means
connecting to port 22.

and not mention port 22, so that we don't have to update the URL spec
in the future if this changes.

Agree.

RFC2782 is fairly clear on this:

    Service SRV records SHOULD NOT be used in the absence
    of such specification.

That is, if the SSH protocol spec does not specify the use of SRV
records,  then their use by implementations is explicitly NOT
RECOMMENDED by RFC2782.  In the present case, we're defining a URL
syntax for a protocol which is  primarily accessed by means other than
URL's.  It would seem inappropriate  in such a context to specify the
use of SRV records when the underlying  protocol does not do so.

Interesting.  I'm aware of some ssh SRV records that a friend set up,
so I assumed that using them was correct.

Well, "MUST is for implementors", so YMMV.

RFC2782 doesn't seem to offer any guidance about which protocols
should use SRV, and which shouldn't.

Correct. It doesn't offer a lot of guidance to protocol designers as to when it makes sense to specify the use of SRV records and when it does not. IMHO, SRV records are appropriate for services where you're likely to want to find a canonical instance of a service for a particular site (such as Kerberos KDC's), or where service may be provided by a set of redundant machines (such as mail exchangers). It doesn't make sense for host-directed interactive services like telnet and ssh, except perhaps in a small number of cases.

The guidance that RFC2782 _does_ provide is to implementors, particularly of clients -- it RECOMMENDs that SRV records not be used unless specified.