RE: secsh-sftp-scp-uri draft

[Joe] I agree that the concept of trusted URLs cannot be easily
determined or defined.

> Do you trust all the SSL certificates to hand out SSH fingerprints? I
> wouldn't. Same goes for e-mail, I'd probably end up verifying
> the sender
> by hand and then deciding whether I trust a fingerprint or not. I'm a
> strong advocate of KISS, and here I just don't see the
> justification for
> this feature. Remeber the hulabaloo over dsniff and SSH MITM
> attacks? I
> think inclusion of fingerprints in URL's has greater
> potential to lead
> into similiar issues.
>
> I see your point about negative matches in URL vs. actual
> host key, but
> it could have problems as well: What if I happen to give a
> fingerprint
> that is for dsa key and client/server agree on rsa key?

[Joe] If the fingerprint does not match for any reason then the
reccomentation is to disallow the connection by default.

> Links
> can become
> stale either by hostkey updates or different kex algorithms.
> I fear users
> might get a false sense of security from the information.

[Joe] A stale link will have the wrong fingerprint and they will not be
able to make a connection.

> The idea itself is not bad, but I'm worried it's very
> difficult to get
> right. Complexity is potential for trouble, and I'm not
> convinced it's
> worth it in this case.

[Joe] I think I understand your point and we debated this decided to
include it in the draft because we believe it has value.  I need to
rework the security considerations section to remove the 'trusted URL'
reference because that was a bad idea and focus more on the recommended
behavior of the client.  My hope is that will simplify things.