Re: Sftp: performance enhancing changes

On Sat, Sep 06, 2003 at 02:07:06PM -0700, Nicolas Williams wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 11:09:32PM -0400, Thor Simon wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 05:16:53PM -0700, Nicolas Williams wrote:
> > >
> > > No.  The consensus of the SFTP perf thread was, IIRC, that there is no
> > > handbrake in either SSHv2 or SFTP and that clients and servers should be
> > > smart about using larger windows for the SFTP sub-system.
> >
> > There are other applications that display horrific performance characteristics
> > over at least some widespread SSHv2 implementations.  One notable one is
> > rsync.
>
> This may be due to the SSHv2 client and/or server implementations
> setting small window sizes for what they think is an interactive
> session.  I suggest that you bring this up with the implementor, that

Uh, what makes you think that any common Unix implementation would use
ptys (or decide the session is interactive) when handed a remote command
to execute on the command line?  Certainly I cannot think of one that
does (this would also fly in the face of A) common sense and B) what
legacy rsh did and C) what the original F-Secure code did)).

Thor