Re: Case sensitivity on sftp servers

On  9 Sep 2003 Joseph Galbraith <galb-list%vandyke.com@localhost> wrote:

> Actually, the Win32 CreateFile() api takes a flag:
>
> FILE_FLAG_POSIX_SEMANTICS

Fine, you can create "README" and "Readme".  But attempting to copy,
delete or rename them, pass them to libraries, or open them from
another program might get an error, one file at random, or both
depending on how you do it. This does not seem very useful, and reports
on the web indicate that people porting from Posix did not find it
helpful.  This is born out by the Samba experience.

Basically every report I know of indicates that trying to be
case-sensitive on NT is just thoroughly painful even though it's
theoretically supported.  I don't think there's any sense in adding
specific support to the protocol.  If the option is in the protocol
then users might try it, but they're likely to be confused and
disappointed.

Of course if somebody has done case-sensitive NT in production and was
happy with the results then I withdraw.

> Well, it means you probably have to read the mask before
> you write it (like mode bits if you only want to change
> the other permissions.)

OK, just checking.

--
Martin