Re: A proposal for OPEN

Derek Fawcus wrote:
On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 09:28:56AM -0600, Joseph Galbraith wrote:

Another alternative would be to reverse the fields (I'm
familiar with the windows varient, but remember a time
when I found them frustrating.)  Would people find the
following easier to parse:

  ACCESS_READ_LOCK
  ACCESS_WRITE_LOCK
  ACCESS_DELETE_LOCK

Well if you want to add locking,  I prefer the above style.

Yes; I had settled on these.

But you also have the issue of mandatory vs advisory locks...

I've heard these terms before, but I'm not sure I've had them
clearly defined for me before.  Let me see if I'm anyplace close
on what they mean :-)

  Mandatory Lock
  ==============
  Once I am granted a mandatory lock, I own it until
  I release it.  Others trying to access the file in
  a way that conflicts with my lock will receive an
  error.

  Advisory Lock
  Once I am granted an advisory lock, I own it until
  either I release it or the server notifies me that
  it is breaking my lock.  Others trying to access the
  file in a way that conflicts with my lock will result
  in the server breaking my lock.

Is this any place close to what these terms mean?

Thanks,

Joseph