Re: Some questions about "SSH Transport Layer Encryption Modes"

Derek Fawcus wrote:

On Sun, Oct 19, 2003 at 07:51:58PM -0400, Bill Sommerfeld wrote:

For those still not satisfied, I invite anyone who wants
"seamless"/non-blocking rekeying to write and submit a draft
documenting how to negotiate the use of a different key cutover
strategy with a consenting peer.

Well one problem here is that I believe there is at least one
implementation, which does not respond with SSH_MSG_UNIMPLEMENTED
to unknown messages.

I've no direct opinion on the rekeying issue, but I don't believe it's unreasonable to treat such implementations as broken and exclude them from discussions about extensions. There is, however, a second point against using SSH_MSG_UNIMPLEMENTED, namely that there's no indication within the message about *which* message was unimplemented. Short of keeping buffers of what's been sent and working out which packet is a response to what, which is probably impractical and certainly unpleasant, it's not possible to use .._UNIMPLEMENTED for implementing extensions anyway.

--
Jon Bright
Silicon Circus Ltd.