Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-secsh-scp-sftp-ssh-uri-01.txt

In article <200311182010.PAA11556%ietf.org@localhost> you write:
>A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
>This draft is a work item of the Secure Shell Working Group of the IETF.
>
>	Title		: SCP/SFTP/SSH URI Format
>	Author(s)	: S. Suehring, J. Salowey
>	Filename	: draft-ietf-secsh-scp-sftp-ssh-uri-01.txt

A few comments:

Reference 5 should be updated to draft-hoffman-rfc1738bis-01.txt.

There's no reference for either the SFTP or SCP protocol definitions.

The specification of SCP and SFTP URIs don't specify what to do with each of
the hierarchical sections of an SCP or SFTP URI.  The reference to
rfc1738bis is insufficient, since that specifies that clients execute a
"CWD" command for each component except the last, and neither SCP nor SFTP
has such a command.

The definition of "lineend" is poor, since '\r' and '\n' are C-isms, and in
particular some C compilers treat '\n' as ASCII CR and '\r' as ASCII LF.
This should probably just refer to the relevant part of the SFTP spec (which
isn't referenced, so I can't find it).

I believe that '\' isn't a permitted character in a URI, so specifying its
use is silly.

Perhaps the semantics of asking for an SFTP directory listing should be
stated.

There should be a quick sentence describing what each example means.

The last example seems particularly odd, in that it's an SFTP URI with no
filename.

--
Ben Harris