Re: data during rekey?

der Mouse <mouse%Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA@localhost> writes:

> transport-17 says that
>
>    Implementations MUST NOT accept any other messages after key exchange
>    before receiving SSH_MSG_NEWKEYS.
>
> But what about _during_ key exchange?

In the message sequence, in each direction, the only messages allowed
between SSH_MSG_KEXINIT and SSH_MSG_NEWKEYS are keyexchange messages,
SSH_MSG_IGNORE, SSH_MSG_DEBUG and SSH_MSG_DISCONNECT. Sending any
other message type is a protocol error.

> I'll be happy to write the new text for the draft, once I know what it
> should say. :-)

This issue was discussed some year ago, please consult the list
archive.