Re: Elliptic-Curve Diffie-Hellman Key Exchange draft

Douglas Stebila <douglas.stebila%sun.com@localhost> writes:

> I recently posted a draft to add support for the use of elliptic curve
> cryptography in the form of Elliptic Curve Diffie-Hellman (ECDH) key
> agreement to the exchange portion of the SSH Transport Layer protocol.

What's the current patent status on that area? Is it possible to
implement any cryptography on elliptic curves without getting a patent
license from the patent holders (certicom? Others?).

If not, I don't think there's much point in standardizing it, and I'm
not going to spend any time reading drafts about it. You could of
course still do it as a elliptic-curve-keyexchange%sun.com@localhost thing.