Re: Elliptic-Curve Diffie-Hellman Key Exchange draft

Nils Larsch wrote:
> Hi Damien,
>
> Damien Miller wrote:
>
>>OpenSSH has no desire to implement anything tainted by patents and we
>
> Does this mean that you don't like/want ecc, because there are various
> patents in this area, although the basic cryptographic methods (in this
> case) could be implemented without using patented algs ?

It means that we will avoid any area fraught with patents - the risk
that we will inadvertently stumble into a patented method is too great.
Especially given the fact that we do not have the time, resources or
desire to perform and tediously intepret patent searches before we
implement anything.

Right now, ECC is one of these areas.

-d

PS. Please direct followups off-list, this isn't on-topic.