Re: Message Numbers and Disconnect Codes

Chris Lonvick <clonvick%cisco.com@localhost> writes:

> Since we agreed that the high 16 values (what we said were going to be
> 239..254) would be reserved for local use, I'd like to suggest that this
> be retained.  This would mean that the values of 0x00000001..0xFFFFFFE9
> will be assigned by the IANA and the values of 0xFFFFFFF0..0xFFFFFFFF will
> be reserved for local use.

I think it's somewhat silly to reserve only 16 values out of such a
large space. MaF's suggestion, that 0xFF000000-0xFFFFFFFF be reserved
for local use, sounds more reasonable to me.

> I'd also like to suggest that we change the name of 'data_type_code' to
> 'reason code'.

I don't think that's appropriate, the meaning is quite different. See
below.

> Also for consistency, I'd like to make all of the
> additional descriptions become 'description' - and remove 'additional
> text' and 'data'.

Changing "additional text" to "description" is fine. Changing "data",
in SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_EXTENDED_DATA, is not.

Note that while SSH_MSG_DISCONNECT and SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_OPEN_FAILURE
are reports various protocol related errors,
SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_EXTENDED_DATA is different, it's a segment of a
continous stream of data. SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_EXTENDED_DATA is almost like
the plain SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_DATA, only difference is that it carries one
additional id saying which of potentially many auxillary streams the
data belongs to.

Regards,