RE: SFTP v6?

Niels,

if the version extension scheme we're talking about is what I proposed, it
does seem to solve the problem at hand in the simplest complete way.

If in the future the 3->6 problem indeed becomes forgotten and obsolete,
clients will simply send "23" as their version (or whatever the highest
version exists at that time) and will bomb out if the server responds with
anything lower than "17". Fine.

If a client is concerned about the 3-6 problem though and wants to avoid the
chance that the server might reply to 6 with 4 or 5, I believe my proposal
is simple and complete.

If you don't care to implement it, it won't burden your client
implementation at all - you can continue to send the highest version you
support and that will work just as fine.

On the server side, this method will burden you only if you wish to offer
your highest version to clients which support non-contiguous version ranges.
But do you not wish your server to be well interoperable with such clients?
Is it not legitimate for clients to have a non-contiguous version
requirement?

Note that the solution has almost 0 impact on sessions where the client is
not one that supports non-contiguous version ranges.

I don't know why you label it as "fancy", because fancy is not what it is.
It just solves the problem with the smallest possible negative impact. The
only alternative with even less burden is to ignore the problem exists in
the first place.

I, for one, see myself implementing a client with non-contiguous version
support. And I would appreciate if the new servers allowed my client to do
so.