Re: Checking for ssh implementation that uses SSH_MSG_USERAUTH_PASSWD_CHANGEREQ

Sheldon Bishov wrote:
I'm working to get a client to handle the SSH_MSG_USERAUTH_PASSWD_CHANGEREQ
message for password change on UNIX server, and am checking for implementations that support this mechanism. Have tested a few UNIX
implementations, so far none use that message, instead run passwd in a shell
context.  Am starting to check secsh mail archive also.

I'm a little unclear what you are looking for...

If you are looking for a client that handles the
SSH_MSG_USERAUTH_PASSWD_CHANGEREQ, then both our
unix clients and our windows clients do.
(www.vandyke.com)

There is no excuse for a client not handling this message;
and I would consider a client that can't correctly handle
this message out-of-spec.  I'm surprised if you aren't
finding clients that support it.

If you are looking for unix servers that generate this
message, and do the password change, that is a different
story.  I'm not sure you will find one.  The mechanism
for changing a users password varies wildly from one
unix system to another, and isn't always programattically
exposed.

Our windows servers _do_ generate the message as appropraite,
but I don't believe our unix servers do.  (So if you
were looking for something to test a client you are
developing against, the our windows servers might or
might not be an option for you-- if you are developing
a client and need a server to do interop testing with,
contact me privately, off-list.)

Thanks,

Joseph