Re: Open Issues from Recent Comments

> We've received some coments recently.  I'll summarize them and note
> what I intend to do with them in the core IDs.  I'd appreciate
> feedback.

You asked for it, so I'll give it. :-)

> 1)  Double spaces after the period after an initial in a name.
> Issue:  xml2rfc has started double spacing between the end of a
> sentence and the start of the next.

There's nothing wrong with that, surely?  The space after the
punctuation ending a sentence normally *should* be wider than an
inter-word space, and in a monospaced font a double space is, I
thought, the canonical way to do it.  (The spacing ratio in
well-typeset text is reasonably close to 2:1....)

What the correct way to mark certain dot-space combinations as not
ending sentences is for xml2rfc I don't know.  But it does seem to me
that if xml2rfc is producing problems, maybe the right fix is to stop
using it and switch to something better behaved?  Is there any reason
XML (which I assume is involved from the xml2rfc name) needs to be
involved?

> 6)  PENDIN opcode
> Issue:  Why does PENDIN have an assignment.  It is really a dynamic
> tty driver internal state.  It may not be the sort of state bit that
> it makes any sense at all to push across the network.
> Proposed Resolution:  I need someone to verify that.

Surely all the verification it takes is to grep for PENDIN in your
favourite open-source kernel's tty code and look at how it's used.

For the rest of the points listed, I'm happy with the resolution given
(well, except for the UTF-8 issue, and that I'm at least content with,
pending some kind of consensus on what the right thing for
encoding-agnostic systems is to do and what that means the core drafts
should say).

And, Chris...thank you for all your unstinting work taking care of the
drafts.  It's a mostly thankless job, one that is noticed only when
done badly, and I for one appreciate your dedication to it.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse%rodents.montreal.qc.ca@localhost