Re: tcpip-forward requests and bind addresses

On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 10:05, Niels Möller wrote:

> I have some concern with the phrase "all supported protocol families".
> I don't think it is wise to interpret that as "all protocol families
> that getaddrinfo return". It should be IPv4, IPv6 and, beyond that,
> only protocol families that *really* make sense to implementor and/or
> local sysadm.

Agreed.

> One simple argument against random protocol families is that we don't
> specify what the "originator IP address" and "originator port" in
> SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_OPEN "forwarded-tcpip".

There exist protocols which use the IP addressing model but not ip wire
encoding.  These protocols tend to be problematic administratively but
they clearly *could* be included in a wildcard bind.

Given that you can use this option to tunnel between addressing universes
we're already stuck with essentially implementation-defined behavior
from the receiver..

						- Bill