Re: Session channel extension to specify home directory?

Darren Tucker wrote:
Joseph Galbraith wrote:

We just had a user request us to start a shell session
for them in an arbitrary directory.

[...]

Are there security implications?  Is it a bad idea?

Well, for one thing it would let users with restricted shells change directories.

Argh... and the server has no way of knowing that x is a restricted
shell and disallowing the command does it?

What value does it give beyond "(cd /some/path && some command)" ?

It works with a NT server.  This might be able to be worked
around by sending cd /some/path\n as artifical user input
before giving control to the user.

But... it works with a VMS server (cd is written
set default disk:[some.path])

But regardless, I don't think it is likely to get many supporters
given the issue with restricted shells.

Thanks,

Joseph