Re: Where to find protocol spec for SCP under SSH-1

Thanks. After doing a lot of poking around on the web I was able to find an
SSH1 protocol spec but it made no explicit mention of scp1. I was unable
to find a spec for scp1. I did find this rather unencouraging text:

The protocol it uses (let's call it "SCP1") remained entirely undocumented,
even when Ylönen wrote the first RFC documenting the SSH-1 protocol.

at http://www.hn.edu.cn/book/NetWork/NetworkingBookshelf_2ndEd/ssh/ch03_08.htm

After a few hacks I managed to get

We now prepend the \001 byte to the string "scp1 compatibility mode is not supported."
in the SCP2 mainline, running in the SSH server child process, and write
the text to stderr  when -f or -t are being employed. (For our implementation on OpenVMS
stderr and stdout both point to the PTY.) After solving some
problems with the VMS PTY driver polluting the text with CRLFs
I managed to get the text coming cleanly out of the PTY code (no formatting characters
added) into the SSH server parent process. This data is sent over the channel
to the client and, voila:

  [user@rhlinux user]$ scp user@16.116.92.54:z.z z.z
  scp1 compatibility mode is not supported.
  lost connection
  [user@rhlinux user]$

This is not graceful, granted, with the lost connection but
for our purposes it's fine.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Karol Zielonko