Re: SHA1 weaknesses...

On Wednesday, March 30, 2005 12:49:52 PM -0700 Joseph Galbraith <galb-list%vandyke.com@localhost> wrote:

I kind of hate to do this, but...

In light of recent SHA1 weaknesses, which, if I understand
correctly, may not really effect SSH, but are still worrisome,
should we be looking at introducing a document for using
SHA256?

Or are the vulnerabilities too remote, and so much
not an issue for our SSH usage, that we don't need
to do anything in response?

I would encourage anyone pondering this question to read

- The saag proceedings from IETF62, particularly Eric Rescorla's talk.
- draft-hoffman-hash-attacks-00.txt
- The current discussion on this topic on the saag mailing list.

-- Jeffrey T. Hutzelman (N3NHS) <jhutz+%cmu.edu@localhost>
  Sr. Research Systems Programmer