Re: [Fwd: [Russ Housley] DISCUSS: draft-ietf-secsh-newmodes-05]

On Mon, 2005-08-29 at 14:15, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:
> Russ's comment notwithstanding, I don't think we actually need any of the
> modes described in newmodes to be REQUIRED.  It's one thing to say "if you
> support ssh then you MUST support 3des-cbc".  It's quite another to say "if
> you support 3des-ctr then you MUST also support aes128-ctr" or vice versa.

I believe the goal is "if you support 'newmodes' you must support
aes128-ctr" so that two implementations which claim to support
"newmodes" will not fail to interoperate because one only supports
3des-ctr and the other only supports aes128-ctr.

					- Bill